Each version listed below includes:
- Free federal eFile.
- Tax questions answered for free via chat by a registered tax professional.
- DeductionPro (calculates value of charitable deductions) is now integrated with desktop software and online apps.
- If you have a simple return and used H&R Block At Home last year, the tax interview is customized based on last year's information to save time by not asking questions that don't apply to the return.
- Free support and representation from an enrolled agent should you be audited.
State Tax Returns
Unless otherwise noted, online state returns can be added for $34.95. Most of the Windows or Mac software includes one state return (add more states for $39.95 each), but there's a $19.95 e-File fee. New York state residents are exempt from e-File fees. You can also check to see if your state offers free state income tax software, including free e-File.
- Also see my H&R Block At Home 2012 Review to learn more about how the software works and to get my opinion of how it compares to other tax software.
The Free Edition includes error checking, maximum refund and accurate calculations guarantees and H&R Block's Worry-free Audit Support with an agent who will assist you if you're audited. There's also an offer of one session of tax help via chat or email. If you think you'll want more tax advice, step-by-step guidance throughout your entire return or you would like to import last year's tax information, 1099 or W-2 forms instead of entering that information by hand, skip H&R Block At Home 2012 Free Edition and consider one of the paid versions covered below.
H&R Block At Home Free Edition includes one free federal e-File, and state tax return with e-Eile can be added for $27.95.
You'll need one of these browsers or a higher version to use this tax software: Internet Explorer 7.0, Mozilla Firefox 3.6, Safari 5.1.2 or Google Chrome 16.
The online tax software browser requirements are listed under the Free Edition above. The desktop tax software for Windows runs on XP SP3 or higher, Vista and Windows 7. Mac versions run on OS X 10.5.8 or higher.
- Mortgage interest and real estate taxes.
- Step by step help for entering investments, dividends, stock options and retirement income.
- DeductionPro finds the highest legal amount deductible for non-cash charitable contributions.
- One state return included ($19.95 e-File fee). For cost of additional states, see the Basic description above.
- Schedule C guidance.
- Tax planning tools.
- Advanced tax calculators.
H&R Block At Home Best of Both
- H&R Block Best of Both Online: $79.95
- Payroll and employer forms (Forms 940, 941, W-2 and 1099).
- Vehicle deductions, depreciation and business expenses.
- Estates and trusts (Form 1041).
- Non-profit returns (Form 990).
- H&R Block At Home Premium & Business for Windows: $79.95 (Compare Prices)