See H&R Block At Home 2012 Versions, Features and Prices for the most recent information.
H&R Block At Home tax software has versions for both Windows and Mac, and online tax software. Mobile offerings this year includes iOS and Android apps which file simple returns and an iPad app that can file more complex 1040s. H&R Block At Home Online includes the Free Edition, and a package called Best of Both which lets you complete your own tax return with unlimited tax help and advice from a tax professional.
Time saving new features for for tax year 2011 include the ability to log into the online versions with your Facebook account and suggested shortcuts for returning users. Other enhancements include import last year's return from a PDF prepared with TurboTax or TaxAct, increased support for W-2 and 1099 data imports, ramped up search in help documentation and improved bookmarks.
Unless otherwise noted, online state returns can be added for $34.95 ($39.95 plus e-file fee for the desktop Basic version). State e-file costs may apply. Prices subject to change.
H&R Block At Home Free Edition (Online Only)
H&R Block At Home Free Edition is online software for simple income tax returns. Free Edition has no income limits, includes error checking, accurate calculations guarantee and maximum refund guarantee but you'll have to bump up to the Basic version to import last year's tax data, 1099 or W-2 forms.
H&R Block Worry-free Audit Support (agent will assist with audit and represent your if necessary) is included, and new this year is free expert tax advice available online from trained tax specialists.
H&R Block At Home Free Edition includes one free federal e-file, and state tax return with e-file can be added for $27.95.
H&R Block At Home Basic provides step-by-step guidance for simple tax returns, and includes:
- 5 federal e-files in desktop software, unlimited printed federal returns for desktop. 1 federal e-file in online version.
- Error checking, Worry-free Audit Support.
- Imports last year's tax data from H&R Block At Home, TaxAct Online and TurboTax Online. In the past, the desktop versions also imported data from Quicken personal finance software (Windows only), but I've not verified that for this year.
- Imports W-2 and 1099 data, with more payroll providers and financial institutions added this year.
H&R Block At Home Basic Online: $19.95
Window and Mac Desktop: $19.95
- Includes one state return
- Walks you through entering and explains investments, dividends, stock options and retirement income.
- Job-specific tax deduction guidance for many occupations.
- Mortgage interest and real estate tax deductions, home sales.
- Tax benefit advice for major life changes.
Window and Mac Desktop: $44.95 ($19.99 state e-file fee)
- Schedule C guidance.
- Tax planning tools and advanced calculators.
- Rental income and deductions support.
- One free session with an H&R Block tax professional.
Window and Mac Desktop: $64.95
With H&R Block Best of Both, you prepare your taxes with the At Home Premium version (see features above) and provide copies of your tax documentation via email, fax, mail, or drop off at an H&R Block office so a tax professional can work with you. Your tax professional reviews your return, makes corrections if needed and files your return. This service provides unlimited access to a tax professional via phone or email.
H&R Block Best of Both: $79.95.
- Estates and trusts (Form 1041).
- Non-profit returns (Form 990).
- Payroll and employer forms (Forms 940, 941, W-2 and 1099).
- Vehicle deductions, depreciation and business expenses.
- Unlimited business state programs.
- 1 personal state return ($19.95 for state e-file).