- MS Money will import QIF or OFX data files, which can be downloaded from any bank that provides online banking capabilities.
To download transactions:
- Navigate your browser to your financial institution's web site and log in. Navigate to the account you want to use and select download transactions or something similar. Here's a tutorial that demonstrates downloading transactions.
- When you are offered a choice of file types to download, choose OFX, QIF or Microsoft Money. Here's an example of selecting the download type.
- You will be able to choose a date range.
- Importing data to a newly-created account: It's unlikely that you'll be able to choose further back than one year, and your bank may only go back in history by three months.
- Downloading for an existing account in Microsoft Money: When setting the date range for new transactions to import into an account that you've been using (has existing transactions), choose a beginning date that's 3 days before the last date of the current transaction. Banks don't always list transactions right away, and using this method ensures that you grab all transactions. If you already have some of these transactions in your account, it is unlikely that they will duplicate.