Question: Help! I just installed TurboTax and I can't open ItsDeductible.
When you install TurboTax for tax year 2006, ItsDeductible is installed by default as well. You will see TurboTax ItsDeductible listed under your programs, but you may get an error message when you try to open it before you have entered deductions into your tax return in TurboTax
Answer: ItsDeductible must be accessed from within TurboTax first before you can use it separately to record charitable contributions. Follow these directions to get access to ItsDeductible:
- Open TurboTax and open a return. If you have not started a return, you will need to start one but you only need to fill in your and address if you arent' ready to start preparing your income taxes.
- Click on the Federal Taxes tab at the top of the screen.
- Click on Deductions & Credits, located just under the Federal Taxes tab if you are using TurboTax Deluxe Deduction Maximizer. If you are using TurboTax Home & Business click on the Personal Info tab, then select Deductions & Credits.
- You will now see the Choose How to Enter Deductions and Credits screen. Click on find Deductions Myself, at the bottom of the screen.
- The Deductions and Credit Summary screen will open. Scroll down to item 5, Charitable Contributions powered by ItsDeductible and click on the Start button next to it.
- The Charitable Contributions screen will open. Click on Yes at the bottom of the screen.
- Click on Launch ItsDeductible.
- ItsDeductible will open. You can use it from here, or close TurboTax and open ItsDeductible from your program selection menu when you wish.
- Note: When I used this procedure, ItsDeductible did not open in the final step and my computer froze up. When I restarted the computer, ItsDeductible opened independently from TurboTax, so the end result was correct. The computer crash may not have anything to do with TurboTax or ItsDeductible.