The Bottom Line
PearBudget is a free budget spreadsheet for Mac or Windows that is used with Microsoft Excel or similar spreadsheet software. Use PearBudget spreadsheet to set up and track spending month-to-month.
The PearBudget web-based budgeting tool is also available with a free trial and $3 per month thereafter.
- PearBudget spreadsheet is free.
- Compatible with multiple operating systems.
- Great for those who want to get very detailed with budgeting.
- Specific directions are included.
- Requires a lot of manual entry.
- May be frustrating to those who like more automation.
- Twenty minutes to set up worksheets, 10-20 minutes to do data entry each week, depending on your spending patterns.
- PearBudget tracks fixed, irregular and variable expenses separately, which is optimal for budget analysis.
- Enter transactions manually, which keeps you on top of your spending.
Guide Review - PearBudget Free Budget Spreadsheet
PearBudget spreadsheet does not track financial accounts like traditional personal finance software does. Instead, it is a spreadsheet that's all set up for you with formulas and formatting to make it easy to create and track your budget. Here's what you get:
- The Start Here tab walks you through setting up expense categories and setting up budgeted amounts with comprehensive yet simple instructions.
- Tabs at the bottom of the PearBudget worksheet designate each month where you enter daily expenses and review the amount budgeted against amount spent for the month.
- The Analysis tab analyzes expenses by month and category, and reveals the difference between actual spending and budgeted spending for variable expenses.
Of course, PearBudget lacks the features of traditional financial software for Windows or Mac personal finance software, or online financial software. However, if you simply need to set up a budget, you have basic spreadsheet skills and you don't need other personal money management features, the PearBudget spreadsheet is worth a try.