As with any online tax software, you don't pay until you file your return. eSmart Tax recommends using Internet Explorer 7 or 8, although Firefox should work, too. The Chrome browser is not supported.
A state tax return can be added for $9.95, but you might want to check to see if your state offers free state tax software.
Prices subject to change.
Features in All Versions
- Tax and tech support questions are answered for free via chat all year around. The hours that chat is available are 9:00 a.m. to midnight EST until April 20, 2013, then again April 22, 2013 from 9:00 a.m. - 5 p.m. EST until January 12, 2014.
- A Liberty Tax Service CPA to assist you if you're audited by the IRS.
- Federal eFile included.
- Import data from last year's return prepared with one of 10 other tax software packages: TurboTax, TaxACT, H&R Block, FreeTaxUSA, Efile.com, 1040.com, TaxHawk, My1040EZ, My1040A and Express1040. You'll need to save your return as a .PDF if you haven't already done so.
eSmart Tax / CompleteTax Basic
- Unlike most other free tax software, Basic will import your W-2 and 1099 data to cut down on data entry.
- If you used CompleteTax or eSmart Tax for last year's return, you will not be able to import last year's data in this version.
- The Add Reminder feature is useful if you've started your return and you don't have all documentation available yet. Set a reminder on the page on the return that you can't finish and it acts as a sort of bookmark so you return to it before completing your taxes.
- Support for tax credits for education, retirement savings, foreign tax and disabled or elderly credits.
- Education-related deductions are supported, such as tuition, fees and student loan interest.
- Add a state return for $9.95.
Get started with eSmart Tax Basic
eSmart Tax / CompleteTax Deluxe
- Support for government payments, social security distributions, interest income, payments from qualified education programs and railroad retirement distributions.
- Claim dependents.
- Expanded credits coverage.
- Unreimbursed employee business expenses.
- Investment support for sales of stocks, bonds and mutual funds, dividends, capital gains distributions and related income and expenses.
- Support for distributions from IRAs, 401ks, pensions, HSA distributions.
eSmart Tax / CompleteTax Tax Premium
- CharityDeductions for extra help with determining the value of tax deductible donations.
- First-time Home Buyer Credit.
- Self employment and rental property income/loss support.
- Business and S-corp income/loss.
- Income or loss from rental property, royalties, sole proprietor business, and from farming.
Try eSmart Tax Premium