1. Computing
Shelley Elmblad

Money Rumor is Now Official: No Microsoft Money 2009

By August 6, 2008

Microsoft posted a statement in a news group saying that there will be no Microsoft Money 2009 (aka Money Plus 2009), and Microsoft will no longer be releasing a new version of Money every year. The reason for this is because although "Microsoft Money Plus continues to be a valuable tool for our customers...the feedback we are hearing is that the incremental updates to the software don't merit a new product every year."

I agree with this, although I think the bit about honoring customer feedback sounds like PR spin. I am not suggesting that Microsoft doesn't try to honor it's customer base, but I think the reality is that if Money Plus was profitable, it would not "take a year off" or be otherwise have such a shaky future. I suspect that Microsoft will either abandon the personal finance software market or Microsoft is moving to an online platform for personal finance software, possibly tied in with the MSN Money site.

If you purchased Money Plus in the last year, I would expect Microsoft to honor the Microsoft Money Online Services Policy. The online services policy specific to Money Plus says that online services will remain active in Microsoft Money Plus for two years from your activation of Microsoft Money Plus. So, Money Plus isn't dead at this point.

Read the official release: Microsoft Money Plus Future Versions

Comments
August 6, 2008 at 7:11 pm
(1) Sue says:

Hmmm…. very interesting. I use Money 2007 so I wonder what will happen when my online services expire.

August 7, 2008 at 7:33 am
(2) Paul Conley says:

I say “good riddance.”
I tried almost every type of financial software out there before settling on QuickBooks for my business and Mint for my personal finances. And of all the systems I experimented with, Microsoft Money was the only one that I really and truly hated.

August 7, 2008 at 9:06 am
(3) Shelley says:

Sue – Your online services are set to expire on September 1, 2009. At that time you could buy Money Plus – it sounds like it will still be sold via download from Microsoft. If Money Plus is still around, then the 2 year online services policy should be in effect, but be sure to read the fine print before you enter your credit card number. Otherwise, Money data can be exported in a format – OFX – that is read by many personal finance applications and you could switch. Finally, Microsoft may have an online alternative to Money next year that I would think would import Money data (if it didn’t, it would be really dumb, for lack of a better word).

August 16, 2008 at 11:18 pm
(4) Sue says:

Shelley: I thought you got two years from when you start using online services. If I bought Money 2007 in November of 2006, won’t they expire in November of 2008? I will have to check out some of your alternatives real soon, I guess.

August 18, 2008 at 10:37 am
(5) Shelley says:

Sue – Yes, you are correct: your online services should expire two years from when you registered Money 2007. I should have added that to the 09/09 expiration. You can also try using Money beyond your two year expiration so see if it won’t work until 09/09 before you buy new software. Some have reported maintaining online services in Money long after they should have expired.

Shelley

August 29, 2008 at 10:42 am
(6) RobertSeattle says:

Yea! The new Product every year has been insane. I’m a Quicken User and I hope Intuit does likewise – their quality has gone down over the past several years and I bet it has to do with the “get out the door by August XX” timelines.

September 4, 2008 at 1:00 pm
(7) John says:

With my expired 06 software, this news is more than enough reason to switch over to my bank’s FREE online services!

November 5, 2008 at 9:47 pm
(8) Brice says:

I find this unfortunate, especially since I have used money ince money 97 or was it before, I never can remember.
If they are not going with a 2009 version I would hope they consider every 2 years. I am sure their is still money it it for them.

January 2, 2009 at 10:36 am
(9) Clay says:

Why is this being regarded as a bad thing? Personally I get sick of being asked to buy a new quicken every year only to find out there is absolutely nothing useful in the newer versions – In fact, you end up losing functionality. For instance, if your finacial institution refuses to pay their “ransom” fees, which is based on how many users the bank has, not on how many bank clients are using quicken, the USER cannot import their financial institutions data into quicken. Instead you get a message indicating that the financial institution cannot be found in “Quickens” official list of banks…

I only found this blog becuase I am looking for an alteranative to Intuits “Bully” tactics after using it since version 4.

Have there really been so many changes in basic financing that a new version should come out every year? I think not. Before anyone talks about taxes – that’s yet another yearly package that you have to buy…

In any case I hope that what MS is saying is that with the updates that are already being installed after a Product Release, it is silly to expect people to buy a newe version that really doesn’t have anything new in it.
I mean after a certain point what the heck else can you do that would make a release viable?

February 6, 2009 at 9:36 pm
(10) Sanjay says:

I’ve been using Money 2007 and decided to upgrade to Money Plus, which I bought a year ago but forgot.

Upon launching Money Plus a notice says that its online services will be enabled for 2 years from activation or Jan 31, 2011 whichever comes first.

I declined and reinstalled Money 2007 which says something similar – 2 years from activation or Sep 1, 2009 whichever comes first.

Might as well install Money Plus and use it as long as I can.

I wonder what the future for PFM software will be. I hope it doesn’t move towards some kind of subscription service.

March 16, 2009 at 11:30 pm
(11) Steve says:

I was ready to spend the money for this since I had an earlier version (2007). Now will never go back to MS again, if I don’t have to.

March 27, 2009 at 8:42 pm
(12) Al says:

I hope they move to a 2 year release cycle. I love MS Money, it has served me very well for the last 8 years, I definitely don’t want to move my personal finance to the cloud. I like having a personal history of all my finances available to me.